Cannabis contains hundreds of chemical substances. More than 100 of these are known as cannabinoids,including THC and cbd.that are made and stored in the plant’s trichomes. Trichomes are tiny, clear hairs that stick out from the flowers and leaves of the plant.
Cannabinoids have effects on cell receptors in the brain and body and can change how these cells behave and communicate with each other.
- The most researched cannabinoid
- Responsible for the high and intoxication
- THC has some therapeutic effects but it also has some harmful effects. Speak with your healthcare provider if you have questions about the effects of THC
- The concentration of THC is shown as a percentage of THC by weight (or by volume in an oil)
- THC potency in dried cannabis ranges on average from to 10-30%
- Cannabis that contains very low amounts of THC in its flowers and leaves (less than 0.3%) is classified as hemp
- CBD is another type of cannabinoid
- Unlike THC, CBD does not cause intoxication
- Certain evidence suggests that CBD may mitigate some of the intoxicating effects of THC on the mind, when it is used in cannabis that has a higher ratio of CBD to THC
- CBD is also being studied for its possible therapeutic uses such as treatment of inflammation and seizures